The Hotel Saratoga History
Toward 1933 on Prado street intersection with Dragones street was located Saratoga Hotel, it left behind its former location on Monte street, it stood the building where from then on is “Isla de Cuba Hotel”. The “new” building on Prado street was built by the spainard merchant Gregorio Palacios between 1879 and 1880 with the objective of lodging dwelling – houses, stores and boarding house.
At 1935 Hotel Saratoga was already registered among the most important ones in Havana, offering an excellent comfort and allowing the access to the fashionable amusement of the epoch.
Each day the most select of ours Cuban musicians attended in order to perform their performance at Saratoga Hotel. It is important to stamps the fact that over here at the angle taken by the hotel were initiated the Anacaonas, first Cuban orchestra formed only by women, they occupied from then on a reserved place at the popular “Aires Libres” in Saratoga Hotel which occupied the front porches and sidewalk in front of Paseo del Prado as far as the same corner of Dragones street.
These elements became Saratoga Hotel an irresistible attraction for hosts and sojourners, so it was frequented by the most dissimilar in the society of Havana. It is known by testimonies that Antonio Guiteras, Minister of the Home Department during the One Hundred Days Government besides other personalities of the policy and the government frequented Saratoga Hotel.
It is possible that the name Saratoga was related to the town and spa from the United Stated correspondent to Saratoga, New Cork: place near zones of important battles in the North American Independence War. May be its owners were related to the facts and that influenced the choice of its name.
In the 60s Saratoga building was intervened by the revolutionary government and became a building of neighbourhood until be unoccupied because of its deplorable condition, caused by the indiscriminate interventions and the absence of maintenance through the year.
The new Saratoga Hotel was built again from its foundation conserving the characteristics of the ancient facade, some elements of the original immovable were reproduce like the central atrium, the big windows of French carpentry, the wide porch, a magnificent terrace – observatory almost 270o visual, marble stairs and others, next to columns and pilasters that form its evident expression, those that was possible to restore, refers to the good handing of their execution.
Saratoga Hotel was inaugurated again with all the technology and comfort of modern life on November 15th, 2005 when Havana reached its 486 anniversary. To its reopening went Manuel Marrero, Minister of Tourism, foreign and Cuban Enterprise, protagonists of its enlargement and remodeling, as well as, artists, journalists and other guest.
When Eusebio Leal, historian of the city, left reopened the installations for the tourists, remembered the history of Saratoga Hotel, the personalities from the word of art and literature and others who visited it, besides congratulated to those that made possible that dream of recuperation and beauty.
It is notable to detach that Saratoga Hotel reached the place 24 among the best ones on “The Hot List 2006” published bay “Condé Nast Traveller” British Magazine on gratitude by its excellent service and beauty of the immovable, besides a great acceptation by the hosts.